A seasoned music industry senior executive with nearly 30 years marketing, commercial and operational experience, including retail buying and sales promotions, end-to-end product development, multi-discipline marketing, brand campaigns, business development and supply chain management. I’ve worked for companies big and small, from major corporates to small independently owned companies – Our Price Music, Gramophone Publications, PolyGram/Universal, BMG, Kobalt/AWAL and currently working at Head of Business Development at Blokur, where our mission is to harness the power of the internet to benefit music creators through accurate rights management and pay-through. Passionate about dance and electronic music, I’m an active member of the Association for Electronic Music, engaging in working groups around issues of rights management and collection, alongside the hot topic of live-streaming and how to monetise this properly for performers, writers and creators.
Starting as record store assistant after graduating, I’ve run the gamut through buying management, product/label and marketing management, reaching Divisional Marketing Director and latterly SVP Global Operations. I stepped out of music for a few years, founding my own marketing consultancy Voicebox Ltd working in the charity sector, gaining valuable insight into how working cultures can differ outside media and entertainment.
A passionate people person, I’ve hired, developed and managed diverse colleagues, from junior assistant to SVP level, using coaching and mentoring to help promising talent fulfil their ambitions. I strongly believe in nurturing people and creating great team spirit, using enthusiasm, kindness and a healthy dose of humour — the world turns best when people have a happy environment, believe in what they do and are supported well. I co-chaired Kobalt UK’s Wellbeing Group which aims to ensure a safe and nurturing environment where our employees physical and mental wellbeing is supported and where good work-life balance is actively promoted.
Panelist and speaker engagements include:
– FastForward Conference 2017 – Wellbeing in the Music Industry panel ; The Future of the Music Industry panel
– The Great Escape Festival 2018 – The Future of Independence panel discussion
– Berklee University Valencia 2018 – Digital and Streaming panel ; Pivoting your career in the music industry label
– Frank Turner panels at The Roundhouse 2018 and 2019 – Health and wellbeing in the music industry
– Brit School 2019 – Workshop on the Music Industry
– Amsterdam Dance Event 2019 – Finding Success in a Crowded Marketplace panel
– Channel 5 Abba Documentary aired October 2019- I was the record label talking head
– London Music Conference 2020 – Get Played Get Paid panel
– AIM Connected Conference 2020 – Distribution workshop
– Brighton Music Festival – Panel on the various revenue streams for DJs and electronic artists. September 2020.
– Pioneer DJ film documentary ‘Played but not Paid’. I was one of 3 record label talking heads discussing the impact of streaming on DJs/electronic music artists revenues. Due to air autumn 2020.